November is National Native American Heritage MonthNovember 22nd, 2022
November is National Native American Heritage Month, or as it is commonly referred to, American Indian and Alaska Native (AI/AN) Heritage Month.
The month is a time to celebrate rich and diverse cultures, traditions, and history, and to acknowledge the important contributions of Indigenous people. This month is also an opportune time to educate the community about different tribes and to raise a general awareness about the unique challenges Native people have faced in the past, and those they continue to face today.
Did You Know?
- As of 2022, there are 324 federally recognized American Indian reservations in the United States.
- There are 574 federally recognized AI/AN tribes in the United States.
- Native people have many unique languages. There are approximately 175 Indigenous languages spoken in the United States today.
How Can You Celebrate National Native American Heritage Month?
- Acknowledge what Native land your office (or home) is on.
- Read a book written by a Native American.
- Listen to a podcast.
- Check out a Native American music playlist.
During this month, and year-round, we recognize and celebrate the unique contributions, cultures, and history of Indigenous people. We also acknowledge that as a community, there is always more listening, learning, and understanding to be done to provide support to Native people.
At Horizon, we believe education and awareness plays a key role in providing support to our team, patients, and community as a whole. Learn more about our Stronger Together Action Plan.