Brenda John-Banach, LMSW, CASAC
Vice President of Quality Operations and Chief Compliance Officer
“It is one of the most beautiful compensations of this life that you cannot sincerely try to help another without helping yourself.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
In Brenda John-Banach’s current position as Vice President of Quality Operations and Chief Compliance Officer, she is in a unique position which allows her to integrate 25+ years of operational expertise, vast knowledge of state and insurance regulations along with her technical skills. In this current position, Brenda is responsible for executive oversight of Horizon’s Continuous Quality Improvement Department. She is responsible for Horizon’s quality assurance, quality improvement, and corporate compliance activities, including:
- Medicaid billing audits of all clinical programs, all terminated records, and all separating counselors,
- Ongoing clinical review and approval of key clinical documents completed by counselors in all programs.
- Completion of targeted audits of the quality and coordination of care for clients presenting high risk of lethality or need for inpatient care.
- Utilization Review for clinical programs,
- Preparation of clinical programs for state agency audits/site reviews,
- Design, implementation, tracking and reporting of agency quality improvement projects, management of the medical records department, and
- Service as Horizon’s Chief Compliance Officer, with responsibilities to ensure the development/implementation of our compliance plan including staff compliance training, and the investigation and reporting of compliance, sexual harassment and Justice Center incidents.
Brenda is also a member of the executive strategic planning team, developing and implementing Horizon’s strategic initiatives and ensuring positive outcomes. She plays a key role in the development and expansion of programs across all outpatient clinics.
Brenda began her career at Horizon in 1988 providing individual and group therapy in one of Horizon’s Continuing Day Treatment programs. Brenda has been promoted multiple times over the years which has provided experiences within multiple service lines of Horizon. These include operational, administrative and clinical management/leadership positions in mental health, substance use, vocational, and medical-psychiatric.
In addition to clinical and operational expertise, Brenda developed and implemented a quality assurance and auditing system to ensure compliance with Medicaid billing and state regulatory agencies for 16 outpatient chemical dependency and mental health programs within the corporation. She has also trained staff regarding compliance with state regulations of Office of Mental Health and Office of Alcohol and Substance Abuse Services, successfully completing audits and re-licensure with both state agencies.
Brenda received her bachelor’s degree in psychology from SUNY College at Buffalo and her Masters in Social Work Degree from SUNY at Buffalo. She is a Licensed Master Social Sorker (LMSW) and a NYS Credentialed Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Counselor (CASAC). Brenda serves on the Independent Health Clinical Advisory Group, the Mental Health Subcommittee of the Erie County Department of Mental Health, and is a past board member of the WNY Chemical Dependency Consortium.