How to Choose the Detox Program that is Right for You or a Loved One
If you or a loved one is considering a detox treatment plan, know that choosing the right facility will help ensure long-term success. Consider asking the following factors before deciding on where to go:
- Program quality. Your physician or counselor can provide you with a recommendation on a facility that has earned positive recognition for program success and outcomes.
- Facility location. Be sure to select a facility conveniently located to your home, work, or family, so that you can routinely attend appointments, or have the support of nearby loved ones while you are admitted.
- Types of services offered. The process for alcohol detoxification varies greatly from the process needed to detoxify from opiates. Be sure to verify that your chosen facility specializes in the type of recovery treatment that you need.
- Post detox care. The days and weeks following detox are critical. Make sure to choose a facility that will set you up with a comprehensive discharge plan.
- Medical supervision. Detox from substances should be monitored by medical professionals.
When Should You Seek Support?
If you relate to any of the following symptoms and signs of substance use disorder, consider seeking recovery support from a detox facility:
- You feel unable to limit the amount of alcohol or drugs you consume or use.
- You feel a strong need, rather than a desire, to drink or use drugs.
- You are frequently dishonest about your drinking or drug habits with those closest to you, and often drink or use drugs when you are alone.
- You have experienced periods of alcohol-related memory loss, or blackouts.
- You experience physical symptoms of withdrawal when you stop use.
At Horizon, we offer detox and withdrawal services at our Horizon Village Terrace House, located in Western New York.