Herbert M. Weis, Ph.D.
Chief Quality and Compliance Officer
“It is said that progress is not created by contented people. At Horizon we must never be content with the quality of our work, but instead always be striving to improve.”
Herbert M. Weis, Ph.D., a NYS licensed psychologist, has been with the Horizon Corporations for over 30 years. Over this period he has served in several positions, and is currently Horizon’s Chief Quality and Compliance Officer.
In this position, Dr. Weis has executive oversight of Horizon’s Continuous Quality Improvement Department. He is responsible for Horizon’s quality assurance, quality improvement, and corporate compliance activities, including:
- Medicaid billing audits of all clinical programs, all terminated records, and all separating counselors,
- Ongoing clinical review and approval of key clinical documents completed by counselors in all programs.
- Completion of targeted audits of the quality and coordination of care for clients presenting high risk of lethality or need for inpatient care.
- Utilization Review for clinical programs,
- Preparation of clinical programs for state agency audits/site reviews,
- Client satisfaction surveys and outcome measurement activities,
- Clinical policy and procedure development and updates to ensure compliance with regulations and Horizon standards,
- Clinical incident investigation and reporting,
- EMR training of all new-hire clerical staff, in Horizon quality standards
- Design, implementation, tracking and reporting of agency quality improvement projects, management of the medical records department, and
- Service as Horizon’s chief compliance and privacy officer, with responsibilities to ensure the development/implementation of our compliance plan including staff compliance training, and the investigation and reporting of compliance, sexual harassment and privacy violations.
Dr. Weis also has corporate development and contract management responsibilities including:
- Preparation and submission of private foundation and government grant applications and responses to RFPs, and associated project implementation and performance reporting,
- Preparation and submission of regulatory agency certificate of need applications for the establishment, expansion, or relocation of clinical programs,
- Completion of county, state and federal clinical surveys and reports, and
- Preparation and submission of Horizon’s contract with Erie County for funded services, including performance reporting against contract performance targets.
Dr. Weis received his Bachelor’s degree in psychology from The City College of New York. He received his Master’s degree and Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology from the University of Rochester.